英語筆記

見好就收 Quit while you’re ahead!

2009/07/13

職人英語通〉 見好就收 Quit while you’re ahead!
文/Dr.J.J. 圖/老唐

中文的俚語或成語往往是最難翻譯的,尤其是成語,往往只有四個字,又大部分是文言文,勉強直譯成英文,不免少了些原來的韻味。所以只要能找到相對應的英文用語,表達出句意就算成功了。

譬如「見好就收」這句成語,英文裡就有很多俚語都可以亟為貼切地用來表示該句意。舉個例子來說吧,比賽總是有輸有贏,有時會領先,當然有時也會落後,如果在領先時(ahead)就選擇退出(quit),當然就永遠不會再落後了。也因此〞quit while you’re ahead” (趁領先時就退出)這句英文,就可譯作「見好就收」之意了。

Patrick:Wow, we’re really leading now. Our scores are so much higher than all other departments in nearly all areas.

Patrick:哇,我們目前是遙遙領先?。在各方面的分數都比其他部門高。

Cindy:I know, but I feel players from other teams are catching up. They’re really aggressive and practicing every weekend.

Cindy:我知道,可是其他組的參賽者也都跟上來了。他們可積極的咧,每個週末都在練習。

Patrick:I feel the pressure, too. I just have to say the prize is too attractive – a round trip ticket to Rome.

Patrick:我也感受到壓力了。我只能說獎項太吸引人了──到羅馬的來回機票呢。

Cindy:I don’t understand then. Why do you want to agree to have the dateline extended? It’s supposed to end tomorrow.

Cindy:那我就不懂了。你幹嘛要答應把截止日延後呢?本來明天就要截止了。

Patrick:Well, some people mentioned about this and I just thought it wouldn’t make too much difference. Now you’ve got me worried about it, too.

Patrick:剛好有些人提起這件事,而我也覺得沒什麼差別。你現在一講,我開始擔心了。

Cindy:As they always say “quit while you’re ahead!” I really think we should just stick to the original closing date.

Cindy:大家老說「見好就收」!我真的認為我們應該按照原訂的時間才對。

Patrick:Perhaps it’s what I should be doing!

Patrick:也許我該這麼辦!

◎資料來源:http://share.youthwant.com.tw/sh.php?do=D&id=31020783